Just to prove you can’t keep a good man down (did I say ‘good’?) here’s a review of the manifesto for Arthur Scargill’s Socialist Labour Party.
It’s actually rather predictable coming from a man who, when nobody else wanted him – including the NUM – buggered off and started his own political party just to make sure that he didn’t drop out of the limelight.
I am reminded of Adolf Hitler sitting in his bunker in Berlin with the bombs dropping all around him moving his imaginary armies around his map of Europe. Totally deluded!
Here’s the main points of the SLP manifesto :
- Abolish public schools like Eton and Harrow – other than on the basis of pure ideological dogma I can’t see why we would bother?
- Leave the EU and save £170bn a year – can’t argue with that one!
- A tax on bank profits – sound familiar?
- Building 1,000,000 new homes – anything the other parties can promise, we can promise bigger!
- Nationalise all transport systems – sounds like the Green Party
- Scrap Trident – sounds like the SNP
- 90% top rate of tax on incomes over £300,000 – sounds like what Ed Balls would really like to do…
- £12 an hour minimum wage – anything the other parties can promise, we can promise bigger – again!
- Scrap nuclear power – so we can watch the lights go out all over Britain
- Integrated energy policy, based on a publicly-owned deep mine coal industry along with forms of renewable energy – and bugger global warming and greenhouse gasses!
- All faith schools abolished because they are a breeding ground for prejudice and intolerance – like the intolerance of the SLP for public schools?